Iowa State Penitentiary located in Fort Madison, Iowa
Iowa State Penitentiary located in Fort Madison, Iowa, was established in 1839, one year after Iowa became a territory and seven years prior to Iowa becoming a state in 1846. It is the oldest prison west of the Mississippi River. It was reportedly patterned after the penitentiary in Auburn, New York. A new prison is presently being built in Fort Madison to replace this prison.